Monday, October 26, 2015

 
In his section about sound in The Medium is the Massage, Marshall McCluhan writes that "In general we feel more secure when things are visible, when we can 'see for ourselves'" (117). I believe this is because our culture tends to perceive things we see as more real or certain than things we hear. It is easier, for example, for us to tell the difference between a sheep and a goat when looking at images than when listening to the sounds made by each animal. For my soundscape project, I decided to play with this idea by creating my soundscape out of a found sound I recorded a few years ago. These are the sounds made by the old pipes in my shower after the water has been running for a while and is turned off. However, they sound nothing like the noises we expect a shower to make. My hope is that the mystery of this will make the piece more interesting for listeners.

No comments:

Post a Comment