Tuesday, February 16, 2016

For my final project, I want to continue and expand on what I did for my first project this term, spelling out words and phrases in strange places for people to see and react to. I have chosen a color pallet for the letters and 8 words/phrases that I will be working with. Half will be made in two dimensions with adhesive vinyl to be stuck onto surfaces such as walls and windows. The other half I plan to make three dimensional with a combination of 3D printing the letters and constructing them out of cardboard. The idea for this project is to bring words into physical space, making them real in a way that they normally are not, and to explore the idea of the word as visual art rather than just symbols to represent meaning. For this project, I will present photos of the words/phrases in their environments, as well as hopefully document the reaction to them by member of campus by using social media.

3 comments:

  1. I love the phrases you've picked for this, I think they'll work really well just placed around campus! And I'm also flirting with the idea of 3D printing some stuff, so let me know how that goes with your letters...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also the social media element is a GREAT idea, I love that added level of perception and participation from the audience. YAY new mediaaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds like it'll be really interesting. i think something that could maybe add to it is playing around with how you photograph the words; what angle, focus, etc.

    ReplyDelete